CEC Artslink presents Publicly Creative: A Public Art Workshop. Public art is a fast-growing discipline with many unexplored opportunities for artists and communities. This workshop is a hands-on intensive introduction to the field, outlining resources, logistics, opportunities, and examples of successful collaborations. Recognizing artistic initiative as a valuable asset and a catalyst for a dialogue and transformation, we will explore how site-specific collaborations in varied cultural, geographic and political areas can influence business, social awareness and economic development. Encouraging close inspection of the particular issues faced by a specific New York community chosen by the participants, the workshop and the resulting public art work(s) will provide a unique platform for the participants and the public to explore and appropriate the city’s landscapes.

May 14, 2011

WTC - Interviews with visitors - Why do they come? What do they find?


I live four blocks from the WTC site. Every day when I leave my house, I see tourists from around the US and around the world looking for the site. They ask directions and I direct them. I know this site is very charged with feelings and opinions and convictions. But there isn't much for them to see or do. Only a big construction site. And now there are beginning to be commercial "museums" to fill the void.

I have wanted to have more interaction with the visitors, to know what they are thinking and feeling, where they come from, why they come to my neighborhood. I will conduct short interview the visitors about their impressions and record the interviews. Maybe they have questions for me. I could take pictures of them at the site or me, a real live New Yorker and neighborhood resident, with them. There are a few vantage points with pretty good views of the site. People stand and look and they take pictures. This is where I would go to collect interviews. I imagine that themes will emerge from the interviews.


I plan to do a test session for several hours on Sunday. I will work with a buddy (Nina). I will see if people want to talk, want to be taped, want to take pictures and what they want to ask me. My buddy can record audio and take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment